Recommend top products
You can use the Recommend top products template to suggest related products to your customers based on their previous purchases or page views. It will help you achieve more sales and page visits by automatically recommending products to a specific group of customers who you know are already interested in your offers. The template is designed to:
- send a message with product recommendations to customers with a tag indicating they’ve purchased from you,
- check if they’ve clicked on your product suggestions,
- send a reminder message if they haven’t checked out the recommended products,
- check if they’ve purchased from you,
- assign tags to your customers based on whether they purchased based on the recommendations or not.
Category: Sales promotions
Elements in template:
Minimum number of elements to configure:
Here’s what you’ll need to configure the elements and publish the template as a workflow:
- two automation messages or messages (or drafts) that can be used as automation messages,
- (Optional) tags. You can create tags as you’re building the workflow but its best to have a basic tagging plan set.
If you want to add product recommendations to the messages sent in this workflow, you first need to:
- connect your online store to GetResponse,
- create product categories in your online store and assign them to the products,
- add the Ecommerce module to the automation messages to send in this workflow.
Configuring the template
If an element is greyed out, it means that you need to set its properties. The Link clicked? condition is preset to any newsletter/any link. You can modify the settings to better suit your needs. Clicking on an element opens its Properties.
- For the If tag condition, select the tag starting the workflow. It can be applied in another workflow (e.g. Converting contacts to customers) or assigned by you. The condition is preset to include contacts who had the tag before the workflow is published. This way the workflow is triggered for existing and new customers with that tag.
- For the Send message action, use the drop-downs to select the message to send. If you want it to send product recommendations, it has to include the Ecommerce module.
- In the Link clicked condition, use the drop-downs to select the message with the product recommendations. If the message has more than one link, you should select Any in the links selection menu.
Targeting the contacts who click on the recommended products
- Configure the URL visited element to track if your contacts visited your product site. To do this, click the element. This will open Copy JavaScrip Code popup. Click Copy code to copy the snippet to the clipboard and close the window. (At this point it’s best to save it to a temporary document in case you copy something else to the clipboard). Under Properties, enter the URL of the product site you want to track. Use a wildcard if you want to track all visits anywhere on your site. To learn more about configuring the element and using wildcards, go to How do I set properties for the URL visited condition?
Note: Once you’re done configuring the template, you’ll need to copy the snippet to your website’s management system or insert it directly into the HTML source code.
3. Configure the Tag action to assign a tag to the customers who visited your site, e.g. “purchased_recommended_product” if you used a thank-you page URL.
Targeting the contacts who don’t view the recommended products
You can send a follow-up message to encourage your customers to return to your store.
- For the Send message action linked to the “if no” (red) connector of the Lin clicked condition, use the drop-downs to select the follow-up message that includes the Ecommerce module.
- In the Link clicked condition, use the drop-downs to select the follow-up message. If it has more than one link, you should select Any in the links selection menu. Customers who click on the link in the message and make a purchase will automatically be tagged as interested.
- Configure the Tag action to assign a tag to those customers who didn’t click on the recommended products in the message or didn’t make it to the thank-you page, e.g. “not_interested”.
Click Save and publish when you’re done setting up the template or Save and exit if you want to finish editing the template later (it will appear as a draft on the Manage workflows page).