How to create an ad using Google Ads integration?
Google Ads will allow you to market your business to contacts with even more precision. They make it possible to target your potential customers when they search for specific keywords on Google.
Google Ads integration will make is simpler to reach your contacts where they are and while they are looking for a specific business. Our simple step-by-step editor will guide you through the process.
The ads you create can show in specific areas and for specific languages and they will be displayed both on desktop and mobile.
⁃ You need to have an active Google Ads account. You can create one here.
⁃ You need to connect your Google Ads account with GetResponse.
⁃ You need to add a credit card to the Google Ads account to run the ads.
⁃ Your ad can be disapproved by Google if it doesn’t follow their policy.
How to set up a Google Ads account?
To set up a Google ads account:
- Go to https://ads.google.com/
- Click Start now.
- Click New Google Ads account.
- Click Switch to export mode.
- Click Create an account without a campaign.
- Confirm your business information making sure to select USD or PLN as the currency and click Submit.
- Then click Explore your account.
You are now set up with a Google Ads account. To start creating an ad in GetResponse, you also need to add your card details to the Google Ads account.
Adding a card to the Google Ads account
To add a card to the Google Ads account:
- Log into Google Ads https://ads.google.com/
- Go to Billing.
- Add your billing details.
- Provide your card numbers at the bottom.
- Click Submit.
Note: For now, we only accept USD and PLN as the ad currencies.
How to connect a Google ads account to GetResponse?
Connecting your account allows you to create Google Ads directly in GetResponse.
Note: after creating a Google Ads account, please wait around 5 minutes for the process to be completed. After that time, you should be able to connect.
To connect Google Ads to GetResponse:
- Go to Menu >> Integrations and API.
- Look for Google Ads and click on Details.
- Press Connect
- Select your Google Ads account.
- Click Allow
- Click Allow again without changing the permissions.
- (Optional) Once you’re back in GetResponse, select the Ads account you want to use in case you have more than one.
Done! Your accounts are now connected. You will get an email from Google asking you to accept account access request. You can ignore the email. The accounts will be connected at this point already.
If you want to revoke the permission, you can do it here.
Creating a Google Ad
To create an ad:
- Go to Menu>> Paid Ads >> Google Ads.
- Click Create Ad.
- Provide an internal name for your ad.
Then you can start editing each part.
Expand this section by clicking Edit connection to connect your Google Ads account if you haven’t done that previously. Here you can also select the account you want to use in case you have more than one.
You can also go to manage your integration from this view.
The content section is where you specify how your ad looks like.
To create the content, start with headlines.
Think of three things you’d like people to know about your offer. Include search terms people may have entered. Start with the most important message because smaller screens may not display all the headlines.
- Click Add content.
- Provide Headline 1 (up to 30 characters).
- Provide Headline 2 (up to 30 characters).
- (Optional) provide Headline 3 (up to 30 characters).
Based on the device and its resolution, Google decides if the third headline will be displayed, so keep this in mind when adding it.
Next, you need to provide the URL. Add the address of the site that your ad leads to and customize the URL as it appears in your ad to attract more customers.
- Add the URL to which the ad will redirect people.
- (Optional) change how the URL looks like by changing display URL. Each path can have up to 15 characters. The display URL appears in your ad but the paths may not always show. Add paths to give people a preview of what they’ll find on your site. You can use phrases that mirror your keywords, headlines, or description. It can look like this:
Another step is to provide descriptions. Expand on your headlines and give people any additional information about your business.
- Add Description 1 (required, up to 90 characters).
- Add Description 2 (optional, up to 90 characters). Based on the device and its resolution, Google decides if the second description will be displayed, so keep this in mind when adding it.
- Once you’re done, click Save. You will see a preview of your ad.
Another step is to specify the audience for your ad.
Start with Locations and languages Show your ad in areas you’re most likely to find the right customers and reach out to them in the language they speak.
- Click Create Audience.
- Select the languages for which the ad should display.
- Type in the name of the country, area, state, or city to which you want to target the ad.
Now, you need to choose your keywords. Target people searching for your offer. Pick words or phrases that will match your ad with relevant search terms. You can use both positive and negative keywords.
How to choose keywords?
You can try specific keywords like “women’s designer glasses” to show your ad to people searching for a particular product. Use general keywords like “glasses” to reach a wider audience.
Be sure to review your keywords and refine your list based on the CTR (clickthrough rate).
What are negative keywords?
These are words or phrases that will prevent your ad from showing up in matching search results.
For example, add “water” as a negative keyword and your ad won’t appear in search results for glassware.
To add keywords:
- (Optional) Select the keywords from your previous ads to make the process faster.
- Provide the keywords for which your ad should appear.
- Provide negative keywords to exclude your ad from these searches.
There’s no limit to the number of keywords you can add. Once you’re done, click Save. We will show you a summary of your settings:
Start and end dates and budget
The last step will be to set up the run time of your ad and its budget.
Start with the ad runtime. You can control how long your ad should run. You can set it to start today or schedule for later to time it with your promotions and special offers.
- Click Set dates and budget.
- Provide the date on which your ad should start running.
- Provide the end date for your ad.
As the last step, set up the budget for your ad by deciding how much you want to spend daily. Start with an amount that you’re comfortable spending and monitor the clicks and impressions. On average, the 5% and above CTR indicates your ad is performing well.
Note: Google decides on when and where the ad will be displayed, which influences the cost of the ad. We only show an estimate of the cost, which might differ from the final result.
You can edit your budget later to help your ad earn more clicks.
Click Save once you’re done.
The last step is to click Create Ad to set your ad as active.
How do I manage my Ads?
To manage your ads, please go to Menu >> Paid Ads >> Google Ads.
Your ad can have the following statuses:
Active, Paused, Ended, Draft, Disapproved.
To manage the ad, hover over the actions menu (vertical ellipsis):
- For the ad you have saved, but not configured completely, you will have the option to edit, duplicate, delete.
- You can duplicate or pause active ads.
- You can duplicate or unpause paused ads.
- You can duplicate finished ads, which gives you the option to restart the ad with new settings and runtime.
Where can I monitor my results?
To monitor your ad results, please go to Menu >> Paid Ads >> Google Ads.
There you will be able to see:
- Impressions — how many times your ad was viewed,
- Clicks — how many times your ad was clicked.
- CPC (cost per click) — the actual price you pay for each click in your ad.
- CTR (clickthrough rate) — the number of clicks that your ad receives divided by the number of times your ad is shown.
How will I be charged for the ad?
All the charges happen in Google Ads based on the card you have added to your account. All the details and information can be found in the Billing section in Google Ads.
When it comes to invoices or payment receipts, please check the Google help article for more information.
Where can I disconnect the integration?
The first step is to disconnect it in GetResponse. To do that:
- Go to Menu>>Integrations and API.
- Find the Google Ads integration and click on it.
- Click Disconnect.
The second part is to remove the connection in Google Ads. To do that:
- Log in to https://ads.google.com/.
- Go to Tools & settings.
- Click on Access and security.
- Click on Managers
- Click Remove access.
- Confirm that you want to remove it from Google Ads by clicking Unlink.