How to set the form to update existing contacts?
The following article applies to our brand new Forms and Popups editor. Legacy editor help can be found here.
With the new Forms and Popups you can choose the sign up form behaviour when existing contact is trying to sign up. It can:
- update the contact’s data
- inform the contact that they are already subscribed.
How to update the settings for existing contact?
- Go to Forms and popups and click on the name.
- Click Edit design.
- Click anywhere in the background of the Signup form.
- Expand the Subscription settings.
- Select the option you prefer:
- Tell them they’re already subscribed – to display an error message for existing contacts trying to subscribe to the same list
- Update their contact details – to update the contact details for existing contacts (name, custom field, and autoresponder day)
What else do I need to know about updating existing contacts?
The main thing is that update is not a subscription, so contacts are able to update name or custom fields only.
Subscription method, subscription time, opt in type, opt in address or location will not be updated using this method. Those are possible to do only by using Change your contact details link that can be found in the footer of every message sent from GetResponse.
The autoresponder cycle day will be also updated according to the form settings.
In most cases, this will reset the cycle and the contact that is being updated will start receiving autoresponders from the beginning.