Can I add new contacts to different lists with PayPal Buy Now buttons?
You can post PayPal Buy Now buttons on your website, and use them to add new contacts to your GetResponse lists. To be able to do this, you need to set up an integration with PayPal. When creating a new button or modifying an existing one, edit the advanced variables to specify the list you want to use it with. Once this is done, people who click the button to purchase your products or services will be automatically subscribed to the selected list.
This integration works alongside our other PayPal integration:
- Integrate GetResponse and PayPal to add Buy Now buttons to messages and landing pages in your GetResponse account. See our step-by-step instructions to learn how to complete the integration.
Before you begin:
- You need a PayPal Business or Premier account to use this integration.
- You need to enable a PayPal Notifications integration first.
- Remember that new contacts are automatically added to a time-based autoresponder cycle if you’ve set it up for a given list.
For this integration to work, you need to enable the PayPal Notifications integration for any list (regardless of which list you will connect your button with later).
For that purpose, you can set your default list.
How do I set up a Buy Now button to start adding new contacts?
You need to complete a two-step process. First, you edit Instant payment notifications. Then, you edit Advanced variables for the buttons you have in your PayPal account.
Editing Instant payment notifications
1. Log into your PayPal account.
2. Choose the cog icon in the top menu and click Account settings.
3. Go to Website payments.
4. Click Update next to Instant payment notifications. A new page opens.
5. Click Choose IPN Settings.
6. Enter http://app.getresponse.com/pp_listener.html in the Notification URL line. Then select Receive IPN messages (Enabled) and click Save.
7. The Instant Payment Notification settings page opens. It confirms that the IPN feature is now on. Click Back to my profile to finish editing your buttons and setting up the integration.
Note: You can return to the settings page and turn off the IPN feature at any point.
Creating a button and finishing the integration
1. Log into your PayPal account.
2. In the top menu, click Tools and select All tools from the list. A new page opens.
3. Navigate to the Integrate PayPal and click Open on the PayPal Buttons tile. Button creation wizard will open.
4. Choose Buy Now from the button type menu.
5. Complete Step 1 in the Create PayPal payment button. Enter the item and payment information.
Note: Leave the Customize button boxes unselected. If you make any changes here, you won’t see the Email tab when you get to Add your button code to your webpage.
6. Optional: In Step 2, select Save button at PayPal.
7. In Step 3, specify the GetResponse list you want to add new contacts to. Enter custom= followed by the list name in the Advanced variables field. For example, if your list name is abc, you enter custom=abc (lowercase only, no special characters or spaces).
8. Click Create button to save the button and place it on your website or online store (you click Update button if you’re editing an existing one). A page with HTML and email code snippets opens. Use the HTML code snippet to place the button on your website or online store.
If you want to create another button to add contacts to a different list, repeat steps 2-8.
You’re done! When someone makes a purchase, and when the payment status is marked as “Completed,” he or she is added to the list you specified.
Can I stop some buttons from adding new contacts?
If you don’t want to use a particular Buy Now button to add new contacts to your list, you need to customize its advanced features.
- In your PayPal account, go to Tools >> All Tools >> Integrate PayPal >> PayPal Buttons >> Open >> View your saved buttons.
- Select Edit from the Action menu next to the button you want to customize. A wizard opens.
- In Step 3, navigate to the Advanced variables section and enter custom=subscribe_no in the Add advanced variables field.
- Click Save Changes.