Welcome new customers
The Welcome new customers template helps you accomplish two main goals:
- to immediately thank your new customer for their purchase,
- to ensure that they are getting informed about your brand so they will purchase from you again.
The template includes elements you can use to:
- send specific messages to your new customers,
- indicate their interest based on a click in your follow-up message,
- tag contacts according to their actions so you know what content they might be interested in when you’re planning your future communication with them.
Elements in template: 8
Minimum number of elements to configure: 6
Here’s what you’ll need to configure the elements and publish the template as a workflow:
- 2 automation messages or a message that can be used as automation messages,
- Tags (optional). They will help you identify your customers if you want to target them specifically or add them to another workflow. You can create tags as you’re building the workflow, but its best to have a basic tagging plan set.
Configuring the template
If an element is greyed out, it means that you need to set its properties. Clicking on an element opens its Properties. The Wait element has been preset to the recommended delay time.
1. Configure the Purchase element to track if your contacts completed the purchase. Click the element. This will display the Get Web Connect button. The next step depends on the integration method you use:
– for API, select API as the integration method. Then, use the drop-downs to specify the purchase you want to track.
2. For the Tag element, select which tag to assign to your customers right after they complete the purchase. This will be helpful in other workflows where you would like to target your existing customers. For example, you can tag them generally as “first-time buyers” or based on a product category they purchased from, e.g. “fitness equipment”.
3. For each of the Send message elements, use the drop-downs to select the messages you want to use, e.g. a welcome message draft and a message with additional information about your offer and a link to other products.
4. The Link clicked? condition is preset to any newsletter/any link. You can modify the settings to narrow down the condition to a specific message and link that you’d like to track.
5. For the Tag elements, select the tags you want to assign to your customers based on whether or not they were interested in the content of your follow-up message.
6. Click Save and publish when you’re done setting up the template or Save and exit if you want to finish editing the template later (it will appear as a draft on the Manage workflows page).
You can use the tags at the end and beginning of workflows to trigger a series of workflows for your contacts. Once they are tagged, they’ll be added to another workflow that begins with a condition based on that tag. Here are the possible workflows you can use it with:
- Upselling (for all customers tagged in Step 2)
- Customer retargeting (for customers who didn’t show interest in your follow-up offer)
- Course promotion (for customers tagged in Step 5 to target everyone who showed interest in your follow-up offer)
- Webinar promotion (for customers tagged in Step 5 to target everyone who showed interest in your follow-up offer)
It’s important to note that if you choose to use this workflow to welcome your new customers, you should not use at the same time the Post-purchase follow-up or First purchase thank you templates, as your customers could then enter into multiple workflows at the same time upon purchase, and receive duplicated messages.
- How does a marketing automation message work?
- How do I set properties for the Purchase condition?
- How does the Link clicked condition work?
- How does the Message sent condition work?
- How can I use the Tag action in a workflow?
- Where can I assign tags or scores to contacts?