You should use the Contact retargeting workflow when you want to reduce the number of contacts unsubscribing from your lists. Configure the elements in the template to fill them with a series of messages that encourage your contacts to participate in other related offers. This template helps build a workflow that:
- sends a message suggesting expanded offer based specifically on contacts’ interests and behavior
- allows you to target the customers who want to receive more of the new content
- sends follow-up messages at a set pace. Note: We recommend you use the preset delay time used in the Wait element in this workflow.
You can scale it up or down this template, depending on the number of the resources you want to share with the contacts.
Category: Engagement and retention
Elements in template: 7
Minimum number of elements to configure: 5
Here’s what you’ll need to configure the elements and publish the template as a workflow:
- automation messages or messages (or drafts) that can be used as automation messages,
- tags (optional). You can create tags as you’re building the workflow but its best to have a basic tagging plan.Tags will let you identify the contacts interested in your offer.
Configuring the template
All greyed out elements need to be configured. The Link clicked? condition is preset to any newsletter/any link. You can modify the settings to better suit your needs. Click an element to open its Properties tab. Note: Wait element and the time settings in Link clicked? have been preset to the recommended delay.
Selecting the right target
- For the If tag condition, select the tag starting the workflow. For example, you select a tag “healthy eating” because you want to target everyone with that tag to get them interested in your newest recipe ebook. (Contacts tagged with it in another workflow (e.g. Welcome new contacts) or by you. By default, this condition will work for the contacts who get the tag after the workflow is published. If you want to include the contacts who had the tag before you publish the workflow, turn on the switch that enables adding them. Keep the time settings set to Never.
- For the Send message action, use the drop-downs to select the message encouraging your contacts to check out your newest content.
- For the Link clicked condition, use the drop-downs to select the message and the link it includes. (Even though this element is preset, it’s best to select a specific message and link in this case.)
Once your contacts click the link in your first message, they’ll start receiving messages with the new content.
Retargeting your contacts
- For the Tag element, select the tag that will distinguish your retargeted contacts from the rest of your contacts.
- For each of the Send message elements, use the drop-downs to select the follow-up message you want to use.
- Click Save and publish when you’re done setting up the template or Save and exit if you want to finish editing the template later (it will appear as a draft on the Manage workflows page).
- How can I use the If tag condition in a workflow?
- How does a marketing automation message work?
- How does the Link clicked condition work?
- How do I use the Wait action?