How do I find people who haven’t opened my messages?
Let’s say you’d like to know who doesn’t open your messages because I’d like to send them a re-engagement email. You’ll be able to find them using the Advanced search conditions on the Search contacts page. You’ll be able to narrow down your search to specific conditions:
- contacts who’ve never opened any of your messages
- contacts who haven’t opened any of your messages for a certain amount of time
- contacts who have never opened a specific message
- contacts who haven’t opened a specific message for a certain amount of time
You can find these contacts by using one of the methods described below. Selecting the method depends on whether you are looking for contacts within a specific contacts lists or for contacts who might be in multiple lists.
How to know which method to choose? We recommend you go with the second method if:
- when creating a newsletter, you selected recipients from multiple lists or one or more segments
- when creating a newsletter, you hand-selected recipients from multiple lists
- you’ve built workflows that send automation messages.
Once you know who doesn’t open your messages, you can send them a message directly from the Search contacts page, or save them as a segment and add them to your newsletter recipients at another time.
Starting your search
1. Go to Dashboard>>Contacts and click Search in the top menu.
2. On the Search contacts page, click Advanced search. This will open your advanced search options.
Your next steps depend on whether you’re looking for contacts in one or more lists
Searching for contacts within one list
1. In the Advanced search options, click All lists to expand the list options. Then, select list you want to search in.
You can now select specific search conditions to find the contacts.
2. Select Contact actions and choose Message not opened in the next available droplist.
3. Use the additional droplists to specify the message and timeframe criteria.
For example, to find contacts who have never opened a newsletter with a referral invitation, you’d first chose a list, then select Contacts actions>>Message not opened>>Newsletter>>Newlsletter name (here, “referral invitation”)>>Never.
4. Click Apply to see the results.
Searching or contacts in multiple lists
1. In the Advanced search options, keep the condition set to All selected lists (you can select specific list names if you know them, but keeping it will produce the same search result).
2. Create your search criteria. Here, you’ll need to combine two conditions—Message sent (to narrow down the results just to the contacts who received your message) and Message not opened:
3. Select Contact actions and choose Message sent in the next available droplist. Then, select the message and click Apply.
4. Click Add another condition.
5. Select Contact actions and choose Message not opened in the next available droplist. Use the additional droplists to specify the message and timeframe criteria. Click Apply.
Make sure that you set up your search to Match ALL of the following conditions.