How to search for contacts?
When it comes to finding contacts, you have two options:
- Simple search that allows you to quickly find contacts by name or email
- Advanced search that allows you to do more specific searches using, e.g. subscription method, link clicks, or message opens.
Note that the Simple search might not be updated right away. If you added new contacts and want to check them immediately after adding, use Advanced search option for that.
You can do the quick search from Contacts>Search. If you decide to do the advanced search, go to Contacts>>Search and click on Advanced search. All your contacts in all the lists are displayed on the Search page. From there, you can narrow down your search results to a specific group of contacts:
- Expand the menus for lists, autoresponder cycle, and subscription and select the search criteria that you’d like to use.
- Select an additional set of conditions to narrow down your search results even further. For example, if you select Contact actions>>Message opened, you can choose the type of message (newsletter, autoresponder, A/B test, or automation), and the specific message.
If you’d like to store the search criteria for future use, you can save them as a segment. Contacts who match the criteria will be dynamically added to the search results.
How do I use Simple search?
You can do quickly find specific contacts by name or email using the Simple search field on the Search page.
To find the contacts using Simple search:
- Go to Contacts>>Search.
- On the Search contacts page, type in the name or address you’re looking for.
You don’t need to type in a complete name or email. Just start typing them in and we’ll display the names or emails that match the text you entered. We’ll also tell you which lists they are in.
Once you see the results you can:
- click on the name or email to get to Contact details, where you can review contact information.
- click on a list name to get to review all the search results for the list you’ve picked. If you decide to add a condition to narrow them down, or save them as a segment, you can do it from there.
To do a more specific search—e.g. by custom fields, link clicks, or message opens—click Advanced search. This will open your advanced search options.
How do I use Advanced search?
When looking for contacts, you may want to perform very specific searches, e.g. find people who have or haven’t opened your message, clicked a link, or are at a specific stage in a Advanced search lets you do it by giving you a set of conditions and ways of linking these conditions into groups that act like filters that help you identify the contacts you’re looking for.
You can add up to 8 conditions and 8 condition groups. You can make your search as wide or narrow as you’d like using different combinations of conditions, condition groups, and the available condition and group connectives.
Searching contacts using one condition
1. Go to Contacts>>Search and click Advanced search.
2. Defining the group of people (a condition group) you’d like to search:
- select the list or lists you’d like to display the results for
- choose whether you’d like to see people who are in the autoresponder cycle and are scheduled to receive an autoresponder message.
- choose the subscription period for which you’d like to see the results.
3. Click Add condition.
4. Expand the list to select the condition. Depending on the condition you choose, more drop-down lists become available. Expand each of them to specify the details.
5. Click Apply. (To remove a condition, click the x symbol next to it.)
Searching contacts using more than one condition
- Perform steps 1-5 explained in the section above.
- Click Add another condition and repeat the actions described in steps 3-5 above.
- Choose if you’d like the search results to match all or any of the conditions you’ve selected. When you select all, the search results will be narrow—they’ll show only the people who meet all of the selected criteria. When you select any, the results will be wider—they’ll show people who meet any (one or more) of the conditions you’ve selected.
Searching contacts using more than one condition group
You may also want to specify two or more condition groups as the basis for your search. Here’s how to do it:
- Go through steps 1-3 explained in the Searching contacts using more than one condition.
- Click Add condition group.
- Repeat the steps for selecting search conditions.
- Choose the Operator between groups. If you select or, the results will be wider—they will include contacts who meet either of the condition groups. If you select and, the results will be narrower—they will include people who meet all of the condition groups you selected.
To remove a condition group, click the x symbol next to it.