How to collect consent from new and existing contacts?
Permission-based marketing always requires you to collect consent from your contacts. However, if your contacts are from the EU, starting May 25th, your lists are subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This regulation has an impact on how you collect and process contact information.
In this article, we explain what tools you can use to collect and keep a record of consent given by your contacts. For more information on GDPR compliance, please go to How do I get my account ready for GDPR?
Collecting consent from new contacts
For new contacts who are subject to GDPR regulations, make sure that you collect explicit consent to be included in your lists and receive your mailings. There are a few tools you can use:
- add a GDPR field to your landing pages, forms, and webinar registration pages. These fields can help you collect and store consent from your contacts. They can also include links to your privacy policies and other external pages you want your contacts to review before opting in.
- enable double opt-in for your lists. Go to Contacts>>Lists and select List settings from the Actions menu (three vertical dots). Under Subscription, switch on the option to Require extra confirmations.
Collecting consent from existing contacts
If your existing lists are GDPR-compliant, you may not have to contact your contacts to collect consent again. If you suspect that your lists don’t comply with GDPR requirements, you’ll need to get in touch with these contacts and ask them to reconfirm their consent.
What you’ll need:
- a GDPR field containing a consent clause
- a new list for contacts reconfirming consent
- a landing page or form for that list. Be sure they include the GDPR field your contacts can check to confirm consent.
Send a message to your contacts asking them to confirm consent. In it, include a link to your form or landing page. Once your contacts click it, they’ll be asked to sign up to your new GDPR-compliant list and consent to your data processing policies.
You can review your contacts’ consent status by going to their Contact profile card or by using Search contacts.