How do I add a CNAME entry to my subdomain?
When you want your domain name to appear in your landing page URL, but already have a website at your domain, you need to set up CNAME records.
To make the necessary updates, you need to:
- Log in to your hosting control panel.
- In the domain settings section, look for the DNS settings.
- Once you’re in the settings section, create a CNAME record for your subdomain that points at squeeze.gr8.com
Note: it takes up to 24 hours for the changes to propagate across the internet. You won’t be able to use the subdomain for your landing page URL before nameservers and cache records are updated.
You can check the status of your domain on the Landing page domains page. To open it, go to Profile>>Manage account>>Domains. Use this page to add, remove, and view the status of your domains. For more information on how to do it, please go to How do I manage domains for my landing pages?
How do I add a CNAME record in my GoDaddy account?
GoDaddy.com offers two view options of your account: Card View and List View. The first two steps are the same for both:
- Log in to your GoDaddy account.
- Next to Domains, click Manage.
If your account is in Card View, follow these steps:
1. Select the domain name you want to use.
2. Open the Settings and select Manage DNS.
3. At the bottom of the Records section, click Add. Then, select CNAME from the drop-down list.
4. Complete the fields:
- Name:enter the subdomain name the CNAME applies to. For example, if you’re using promo.mydomain.com, enter “promo”. If you’re using the root domain, enter “www”. Make sure you follow the requested pattern for choosing a subdomain name.
- Value: enter the host name you want the CNAME to point to. In this case, squeeze.gr8.com
- TTL: select how long the server should cache the information. See GoDaddy’s support resources to find out more about propagation time.
5. Click Save.
If your account is in List View, follow the steps below:
1. Click the domain name you want to use.
2. Click the DNS Zone File tab.
3. Click Add Record.
4. From the Record type list, select CNAME (Alias).
5. Complete the fields:
- Host: Enter the subdomain name the CNAME applies to. For example, if you’re using promo.mydomain.com, enter “promo”. If you’re using the root domain, enter “www”.
- Points to: Enter the host name you want the CNAME (alias) to point to. In this case, squeeze.gr8.com
- TTL: Select how long the server should cache the information.
6. Once you’re done, click Finish.
7. Click Save Changes.
See GoDaddy’s support resources for detailed information about adding a CNAME record.
How do I add a CNAME record in my HostGator account?
To create a CNAME record at HostGator, you need to:
1. Log in to your HostGator account.
2. Go to the Simple DNS Zone Editor (under the Domains section in the cPanel).
3. After you’ve clicked on the Simple DNS Zone Editor icon, you’re prompted to Add a CNAME record.
- In the Name field, enter the subdomain name. For example, if you’re using promo.example.com, enter “promo”. If you’re using the root domain, enter “www”.
- In the CNAME field, enter squeeze.gr8.com.
4. Click the Add CNAME Record button.
See HostGator’s support resources for detailed information about changing DNS zones (MX, CNAME, and A Records).