Nonprofit marketing can be challenging in the best of times. But during a recession, contributions and government funding dry up and nonprofits are left with “bread and water” budgets. Enter Email Marketing!
To our non-profit readers… If ever you needed email marketing, it’s now! With an ROI of $42.08 for every dollar spent, it’s the cheapest, most effective, most reliable method for cultivating and engaging supporters and for raising money online. Period.
We know that but we want YOU to experience the benefits firsthand. That’s why we’re offering a 50% lifetime discount for all non-profits. Sure, I’m promoting just a tiny bit here, but this blog is about giving non-profit marketers a BIG leg up with easy-to-use, on-demand GetResponse email marketing. So click here for a shortlist of benefits.
All you need to do to take advantage of this opportunity is to provide the required contact information here and send us 501(c) documentation.
Now if you’re wondering how to conduct effective email campaigns, GetResponse offers great tutorials and expert support for you every step of the way.
What I’d like to offer here are some tips to help you to build closer relationships with your audience. After all, it’s the foundation for giving, volunteering, and achieving your mission.
How to Use GetResponse to Power Your Mission
1. Send personalized messages
Relevance is key to getting your emails opened and read, and you can only achieve that with targeted messages. Here’s how to do it:
- Collect data at sign up using a web form on your website or social profiles.
- Segment your subscribers, e.g. by age, location, interests, level of engagement, and more.
- Tailor the content of your newsletters and campaigns using your profile data and information collected from GetResponse free online surveys.
2. Use good copy
I know this sounds obvious, but it’s a frequent complaint about non-profits, large and small. Engaging, well-written content is indispensable when it comes to winning and cultivating contributors. So take extra care to:
- Create compelling subject lines that are informative and include a sense of urgency (check out some useful tips here). Try to give a taste of why they should open your message NOW.
- Use crisp, action-oriented prose that is strong enough to excite, but not so strong as to offend (spammy).
- Include a clear call to action (CTA) – Your readers should know what they have to do to help, after you’ve convinced them (e.g. Donate Now). Use directive language and leave your recipients with no doubt as to what steps should be taken. And remember to send them from the Call to Action button to a nicely-designed and functional landing page on your website.
3. Organize your content for maximum effectiveness
Browse through our blog and check out the great tips on how to increase the impact of your newsletters and promotions by using pre-headers, headers, content & CTAs and footers. You can learn more about email design here.
4. Track your results and ROI
How does tracking help build relationships? Because readers response to relevant messages! So always check the conversion rates and adjust your campaigns (and profile data) accordingly. This will help you deliver even more targeted and relevant messages and get your closer to fulfilling your mission.
5. Be actively present in Social Media
It’s really worth the trouble to combine email and social media to better engage audiences, wherever they are. It’s easy with GetResponse – newsletters can be shared on Facebook and Twitter with a couple of clicks so you reach a much wider audience.
Don’t forget to include links to your blog and social media pages in your newsletters and encourage people to become fans. Post and respond to comments regularly. Tweak your messages for each audience, e.g. a short effective pitch for the 140-character-limit on Twitter. Be active. Engage!
6. Test to see which messages work best
If you’re unsure which subject line or call to action will get the best response, use A/B (split) tests and try out different approaches.
7. Stick to a regular schedule
This is important when building relationships over time with your audience. We know campaigns and promotions are hard to nail down, but if you’re providing great news, updates, and stories on a regular basis, your audiences will stay active, engaged… and contributing!
We hope you’ll find some useful tips here and benefit from your GetResponse non-profit account with the BIG 50% discount. Register here.
If you run a non-profit organization and have other questions or marketing challenges, let us know in the comments. We’d be glad to help!